About this Show

Piers Morgan Live

News/Business. (2013)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v759

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Angelina Jolie 6, Irs 6, The Irs 4, Us 4, Piers 4, Angelina 4, Jessica Yellin 4, Ted 4, Amanda Berry 4, Angie 3, Cia 3, Reuters 3, Benghazi 3, Lanny Davis 3, Gina 3, Maxwell 3, Dana 2, Cairo 2, Prego 2, Obama 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Live    News/Business.  (2013)  

    May 14, 2013
    9:00 - 10:01pm PDT  

9:00pm
this is "piers morgan live." welcome to our viewers in the united states and around the world. tonight, breaking news on the irs scandal. the president calls it, i quote, intolerable and inexcusable and he demands that those responsible be held accountable. we will talk to jessica yellin de white house and dana bash on capitol hill. on the grill tonight, a man who knows his way around the white house in crisis. clinton counsel lanny davis, what would he do. plus shocking new details of ariel castro's violent life behind closed doors. i will talk to his former daughter-in-law who was in the house while three young women were being held captive. she has explosive revelations about his behavior. tonight, one of castro's attorneys also speaks out for the first time and angelina jolie's brave battle, double mastectomy. her father tells me i fully understand angie's decision.
9:01pm
what a magnificent woman she is. i feel she will be an inspiration to all women who may be vulnerable to a similar situation. i will talk with the congresswoman who found out she has a similar cancer gene and is fighting to save more women. we learn tonight that two of the women in the cleveland house were imprisoned in conditions being described as similar to a prisoner of war camp. this according to reuters which says gina dejesus and michelle knight were in worse condition than amanda berry. one source says the basement of the house had chains coming from the walls and dog leashes coming from the ceiling. ed gallek is with me now. i just read this report breaking on reuters in the last few minutes. it really is unbelievably shocking when you get to the detail that he restrained in particular gina and michelle with duct tape in stress positions for such long periods of times they had bed sores. they apparently hadn't been seen at all unlike amanda berry precisely because of the nature of their injuries. it goes on to say one of the girls has difficulty moving her
9:02pm
head around from being chained up. they think that refers to gina. they were like prisoners of war. if he left for periods of time, he would duct tape them over all parts of their faces, even their eyes, only leaving an opening so they could breathe. he would just rip it off, pulling off skin and hair. it goes on to say they're now exhibiting signs of malnutrition because castro would use food as a means to torment them, according to the reuters sources. he would bring food to one or two of the girls and make the others watch as they or he would eat it in front of them. so it goes on. really shocking and disturbing new details. from what you've been hearing from your sources, consistent with everything that is now building up about the reality of the horror that went on in that house? >> reporter: that does go along with the fact that i'm hearing ariel castro had a hierarchy. he did in fact treat amanda berry the best. the other two, much worse. amanda i'm told got fed first, she got fed better, she got locked up last, and in fact, i'm told amanda sometimes had to
9:03pm
lock up the other two and then she got locked up. so that goes right in line with what i'm hearing. >> what else are we getting today? there's some suggestion that although the dna tests have now proved inconclusive in terms of him being on the records in either the state or federally in terms of previous crimes, they are now inspecting things like the mattress, other stuff in the house, to see if he could have had other women victims in the house. is that right? >> reporter: that's right. the evidence that's going to be tested by the state attorney general's office for dna and those kinds of things still has not gotten down to the lab yet. still being gathered, put together and so forth. but here's what that will show. if there is a dna hit other than for the people who were in the house that we know about, well, that raises the question, were there any other victims, are there any other suspects, who else was in that house that knew about it and didn't say anything. >> absolutely. we are getting the first reaction from attorneys for
9:04pm
ariel castro, saying he will plead not guilty to all charges if the grand jury indicts him on kidnapping and rape charges. an interesting strategy. they're saying he's not a monster. what do you make of that? >> reporter: well, i'm hearing from the interrogation that he really didn't deny anything, but he didn't admit it. he's been kind of evasive. one of the things we brought up last night was the court hearing transcript from several years ago where he was evasive in court. i'm told he was much the same way in his interrogation about this case, not really answering anything, kind of deflecting, kind of moving about. >> he also says, according to these attorneys, that he loves his daughter which is of course the daughter that he bore through raping amanda berry. i mean, this is a defense that will be extremely difficult to sustain itself, isn't it? >> reporter: well, it is. when i went to the home of the mother several days ago, i spoke to a young woman there, she
9:05pm
mentioned that he had a picture of this baby and he would talk about being his girlfriend's child. but then the family there never saw the actual baby, just the picture. so that's kind of strange, too. >> it certainly is. the story gets stranger and more gruesome by the day. thank you very much indeed. i want to bring in monica stevens, ariel castro's former daughter-in-law, who says she was in the house during the time the three young women were being held captive and she says castro was violent and attacked his ex-wife and his son, anthony, multiple times. welcome to you. thank you for joining me. what was your reaction, when you first heard that ariel castro, the father of the man that you were married to, had been arrested in connection with this awful crime, series of crimes? what was your reaction? >> i was shocked. i really can't describe it. it was definitely an indescribable feeling. but definitely caught off guard. >> what kind of man was he?
9:06pm
>> i never had the desire to get to know him personally or very closely. both my ex-husband and his mother had shared with me stories of how he had beaten them, locked them in the house and you know, just treated them like hostages, so i never had a desire to get to know him. he didn't have that like, you know, father-in-law appeal. >> we've heard reports of domestic violence and people have assumed that meant that he physically abused his ex-wife, who was obviously your ex-husband's mother. but from what you have been told by both anthony, your ex-husband, and by the mother herself, it went much further than that. it went much more into the kind of depravity that we have seen in relation to these other
9:07pm
women. >> yeah. in fact, i think that's another reason hearing about everything just elicited a lot of emotions for me, because it did remind me of stories they had shared with me being locked in the house. there was something i'm not specific with the chains, kind of reminiscent where when i heard that, i just kind of shuddered. he played a lot of mind games with her and i believe with my ex-husband as well. of course, their stories were shared with me after the fact. they had separated from ariel castro at that time. but even still, it was just very horrendous, the stories like i said, after she had had surgery, brain surgery, and he still, she recollected to me how he still continued to beat her, like he hit her in the head, either he kicked her or hit her with a lead pipe. the stories were, i don't even think i really fully could grasp just how horrible some of the stories were. >> and he also beat your ex-husband repeatedly when he was younger, is that right?
9:08pm
>> yes. both of them were beaten, just not, you know, not that any domestic violence is tolerable, but this went beyond like your normal domestic violence story. it just seemed very evil in nature, and i just couldn't understand how someone could treat someone they say they loved, let alone their own flesh and blood, like that. like i said, that really fueled my desire to not really want anything to do with him. and my ex-husband wasn't close to him because of their past, so it made it kind of easy. i also heard he wasn't really a fan of black people, so again, it wasn't like he gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling or you know, anything like that. >> you went to this house that is now being dubbed the house of horrors. what was the experience of being in that house with ariel castro like? >> it's much like everyone else describes. it was short, i don't think we
9:09pm
were there more than 20 minutes. it wasn't a normal occurrence. i think that was the one and only time i had ever been there. ariel castro always gave me the heebie-jeebies but i thought that was just because of my personal bias. so that, i guess like i said, i just attribute to the things i had heard. it wasn't -- nothing really stood out. i had always heard about how he had locked everything, like obsessively so if i had seen a lock, i'm not sure i would have thought anything out of the ordinary. nothing was out of place. we sat in the little dining area and i think it was kind of dim in the living room, but there weren't any noises, there weren't any, you know, there weren't any tell-tale signs. i wish there had been. because nobody -- i just wish there had been. >> have you talked to your ex-husband since the revelations of a week ago?
9:10pm
>> no. no, i have not. i would imagine they're probably hurting tremendously and probably not speaking with a lot of people right now. >> we obviously had an interview at cnn with the two brothers who were also arrested and released. did you believe them when you saw their interview? >> yes. yes, i did. i unfortunately wasn't able to watch it in its entirety, but from what i did catch, or glance, and what i know of them personally, yeah, they were always just normal guys. i interacted with them a few times at family gatherings. they were always personable. i really don't think that anyone else in the family is connected with this. you know, ariel castro committed, you know, crimes against his family, like i think they were some of his first victims, and i don't think that anyone even hearing those things would have thought you were capable of doing these atrocities he committed against these girls. but i don't -- i really couldn't see anyone else and i know as
9:11pm
far as ariel castro's kids, i know they were so distraught, and his mother were so distraught about the missing girls, especially gina, that i know they didn't have anything to do with it and didn't know of anything like that. and i wouldn't think pedro or onil did either. >> what is fascinating about you talking now is that it's in direct contrast to almost everybody else i've spoken to that knew him on a friendly basis. all of them paint a picture of a harmless nice normal guy. but the picture you're painting is very different, almost like this wouldn't be the most shocking thing you'd heard all year was ariel castro was capable of treating other human beings very badly. >> i think any time you hear a story, i have never even heard a story like this, so any time you hear that, i have a hard time accepting that anyone could commit these crimes.
9:12pm
so with that said, yeah, i did not know that ariel castro that they speak so highly of. again, like i said, i was biased. i was close to two people who he had hurt emotionally, physically, so you know, i didn't have those same feelings about him. but at the same time, i could see how it was not something that was publicly discussed. things like that are often, you know, kind of kept hidden. i think that perhaps at first, maybe it wasn't, you know, known that he was so savage about it but i think eventually her family had to realize, you know, how drastic things were and she told me how, you know, sometimes she wouldn't be able to talk to her family, she wouldn't be able to leave, and then she had small children. it was just, you know, i didn't know that, you know, nice person because these were the stories i had heard.
9:13pm
>> do you think that -- >> i believed them. >> right. do you think, monica, that given the scale of the beatings he administered to grimilda and obviously your ex-husband, anthony, do you think the authorities should have taken more action earlier with ariel castro? do you think the scale of what he was doing even then warranted more attention? >> oh, well, definitely, but i mean, i wish they had, but i can see how perhaps not. the ariel castro that i know of kept a very tight ship so therefore, he didn't let people out to discuss what was going on inside. that's how come i can kind of understand, people say how come they didn't get out, in all those years they didn't have time to get out, i kind of can see, i can get a glimpse of how controlling and manipulative it seems as if he plays a lot of mind games, physical games, just a lot so he seems like he just wears on your whole being. so i can understand perhaps how
9:14pm
they weren't able to, and i think that's how he was able to keep it hidden for so long, like you say. people have many wonderful things to say about him, but one thing people can all say is no, we really didn't hang out at his house much. i think he was that cold and calculated in making sure that his facade looked that good and that's the ariel castro that i, you know, had heard about with great anguish. so you know, what he did in the neighborhood to save face, like i said, i was aware -- i didn't think he was, you know, a fan of black people but chuck ramsey said he eats ribs with the guy. i think he did what he had to do to keep his facade together. >> i don't know if you knew naomi castro, who was his sister. did you know her? >> no. >> apparently he had a sister called naomi who works at a city jail. she's alerted officials she's the sister of ariel castro and has been assigned -- you never encountered her? >> i don't believe so.
9:15pm
if i did, it wasn't in any, you know, lasting capacity. i didn't encounter her at a gathering or something to that effect. but i was tighter with ariel's mother's side of the family versus his father's side. >> final question for you, monica. the interviews with both his daughters, they seem such nice, intelligent, well-spoken young ladies. clearly unbelievably shocked by what's happened. it does seem extraordinary that this family seems a relatively good family, yet in the middle of it is this absolute monster. what is your overriding reaction? >> just anguish. really for all parties involved, the girls who were held captive, i just can't -- you know, i can't even comprehend or describe. as far as, you know, arlene and angie are concerned, they were always, i mean, his family --
9:16pm
anthony's family was always very loving and i know specifically they were very torn up over the missing girls' cases. so i know that if they had had any inkling that their father was involved, they would have been compelled to do something about it. they couldn't have stomached that. everyone in that whole community was so torn up over those girls missing, there's no way that they could have known about that. we spent a lot of time talking about it. even so, where that's how i actually became alerted of the case was that one of my friends had texted me like hey, they found the dejesus girl or they found gina and i was like oh, that's awesome. i wonder where she's been all this time. so then i started to hear about amanda and michelle, that community was just definitely rocked. i know that they are devastated to know that anyone they know, let alone their dad, was involved in this in any way. >> yeah. absolutely appalling. monica stephens, thank you so much for joining me. >> thank you.
9:17pm
>> quite extraordinary. sound off about stories we're talking about tonight. you can tweet me,@piersmorgan. you might get a lively response later in tonight's show. when we come back, a new report says the irs intentionally targeted tea party groups. why the president's demanding that heads roll in washington. on the grill tonight, former clinton white house counsel lanny davis. how would he handle this mess? woman: everyone in the nicu -- all the nurses wanted to watch him when he was there 118 days. everything that you thought was important to you changes in light of having a child that needs you every moment.
9:18pm
i wouldn't trade him for the world. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. if you're caring for a child with special needs, our innovative special care program offers strategies that can help. since aflac is helping with his expenses while he can't work, he can focus on his recovery. he doesn't have to worry so much about his mortgage, groceries, or even gas bills. kick! kick... feel it! feel it! feel it! nice work! ♪ you got it! you got it! yes! aflac's gonna help take care of his expenses. and us...we're gonna get him back in fighting shape. ♪ [ male announcer ] see what's happening behind the scenes at ducktherapy.com.
9:19pm
[ male announcer ] see what's happening behind the scenes tony used priceline to book this 4 star hfree breakfast why. with express deals, you can save big and find a hotel
9:20pm
with free breakfast without bidding. don't you just love those little cereal boxes? priceline savings without the bidding. tonight, breaking news on the irs targeting tea party groups. president obama issued a statement saying as treasury department reports findings on the scandal, it's intolerable and inexcusable, saying the irs
9:21pm
must apply the law in a fair, impartial way and this report shows employees failed that test. jessica yellin is at the white house and dana bash on capitol hill. dana, this is a right old mess for the president, isn't it? >> reporter: that's certainly one way to put it. this is a pretty damning report, piers. we knew some of what was going on from congressional sources throughout the week, but the bottom line is that it says that irs agents simply targeted these groups because of words like tea party, like patriot, because of their political affiliation, and did so with excess scrutiny in a way that there's no way they should have done. asking them questions that they shouldn't have asked about their donors, about their contributors, about their membership. what made this so much worse is that the management of the irs simply let it happen, for 18 months, 18 months, they let this go on, knowing about it without changing it. and what that meant for many of these groups is that they were
9:22pm
in limbo and sometimes, some cases, piers, for years in limbo without getting this tax-exempt status that they were looking for. now, the big question of course is the political one, was this, were they targeted for political reasons, what this report finds is that nobody outside of the irs influenced the decision to use this inappropriate criteria, meaning the white house didn't use it. but they also haven't found, according to this report, exactly who decided to use these criteria. what they call first line employees, low level employees, but they don't know exactly who or really, the bottom line, why. they think it was just a time-saving measure that was used very, very poor judgment. >> right. jessica yellin, the president's come out fighting tonight, pretty well trying to erect a large barrier between himself and what's been going on at the irs. >> reporter: he has, piers, but he issued a statement that's somewhat clinical in that it's a lot of words but he's not taking any direct action. i'll read to you some of his
9:23pm
statement. he says i have now had the opportunity to review the treasury department's watch dog report on its investigation of irs personnel, who improperly targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status, and the report's findings are intolerable and inexcusable. he says i've directed treasury secretary lew to hold those responsible for these failures accountable and to make sure that each of the inspector general's recommendations are implemented quickly. i'm going to skip ahead. he says this conduct was wrong. i'm skipping ahead because now the treasury secretary has issued his own statement, piers, and he says that the irs must be impartial and nonpartisan, and goes on to say that he believes the need for accountability there is essential. i expect the irs to implement the recommendations without delay. what no one has said here, piers, is that anyone is getting fired, that any jobs are being lost, that anyone's cleaning
9:24pm
house instantly or that any explicit action is being taken. so you know, i've already been in touch with some republicans who say this is not enough. now, i'll point out that most people at the irs, in fact, everybody except two people, are career civil servants. in government, you know it is very difficult to fire anyone without following proper bureaucratic process so maybe the president and the treasury secretary are just waiting to follow the proper steps. but you know, this isn't the kind of action that the critics are calling for right away, and what we do know right now is that the president's basically said this is treasury secretary lew's problem now. >> right. the irs have released a statement tonight in response to the inspector general's report saying the irs is required by law to determine if organizations are engaging in a legally permissible level of political activity. centralizing these cases was necessary to achieve consistent treatment after seeing issues with particular cases, inappropriate short cuts were used to determine which cases
9:25pm
may be engaging in political activities. dana, very quickly on this point, i heard jeffrey toobin earlier with erin burnett saying part of the irs' job is to actually root out political groups from nonpolitical groups to determine who is going to get these benefits. now, where and how is that line drawn and how far over it from this report do we think they crossed? >> reporter: that's absolutely right. it is their job. these groups, any group, should not get tax-exempt status if their primary reason for being is political, not for social welfare. they crossed the line by not having criteria that aren't specifically political and more specifically than that, targeting conservative groups. and that's what they did and that's what the inspector general said must be changed, and there are again, nine recommendations for ways to change that to make sure that this doesn't happen again, and one of the many things that people here on capitol hill are unhappy about is that they only accepted seven of the nine and a
9:26pm
couple of those specifically go to this point of politics. >> right. dana bash, jessica yellin, thank you both very much indeed. president obama is in full damage control tonight. my next guest knows all about that. lanny davis, the author of crisis tales, five rules for coping with crisis in business and life. he is former special counsel to president clinton and the founder of purple nation solutions and joins me on the grill. couldn't be a more appropriate night to have you roasting on that grill. what a mess the president finds himself in from all fronts this week. let's start with this irs scandal. has the white house handled this properly, do you think? >> well, maybe b-plus but i'm mystified by the legalistic language. the president should be on camera in person expressing outrage, calling for an investigation of his own white house to get out in front of what the republicans are clearly going to do. being out in front meaning preempt what you know is coming. also i think a bipartisan committee of congress should be
9:27pm
organized to investigate everyone who might have touched this. if this were a republican president, we went back to richard nixon with abuse of power by the irs against political enemies, democrats would be shouting for that kind of investigation. i'm hoping that the president will follow the crisis management rule to preempt and show more anger and passion rather than a very legalistic statement. i'm glad he made it, but i think it could have been less legalistic. >> jay carney got a bit of a beating up by the white house press team today, and not really surprising because the language he was using seemed to be softening in terms of absolute certainty that nobody at the white house knew about this. is it really feasible, do you think, the irs would independently be so overtly political against the republicans and tea party in particular without anybody at the white house having at least had a quiet word? >> sure. i think it's possible. but they have a presumption that they have to overcome. their public presumes that the white house must have known.
9:28pm
the watergate scandal led to a law that prohibits the white house from communicating with the irs on any topic such as political targeting. so it's possible. but what's lacking here is a preemptive mode. i don't see the president calling for a congressional investigation, a white house investigation, where everyone in the white house is asked, e-mails are looked at, did you communicate with anyone regarding this matter, even indirectly, and it certainly is a presumption that they have to overcome. but of course, i believe them if they say there is no such contact. but they've got to prove it and by proving it, i mean transparency. >> let's take a short break. when we come back, we'll talk to you about other scandals rocking the white house, the battle over benghazi and the justice department's seizure of reporters' phone records. all stations come over to mission a for a final go. this is for real this time. step seven point two one two. verify and lock. command is locked. five seconds.
9:29pm
three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers. more... step! [ mom ] my little girl...she loves to help out on big jobs. good thing there's bounty select-a-size. it's the smaller powerful sheet that acts like a big sheet. look! one select-a-size sheet of bounty is 50% more absorbent than a full size sheet of the leading ordinary brand. ♪ i got it! [ mom ] use less with the small but powerful picker upper. bounty select-a-size. and try bounty napkins. where over seventy-five percent of store management started as i'm the next american success story. working for a company hourly associates. there's opportunity here. i can use walmart's education benefits to get a degree, maybe work in it,
9:30pm
or be an engineer, helping walmart conserve energy. even today, when our store does well, i earn quarterly bonuses. when people look at me, i hope they see someone working their way up. vo: opportunity, that's the real walmart. ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day yeah! ♪ it was the best day ♪ because of you [sigh] [echoing] we make a great pair. huh? progressive and the great outdoors -- we make a great pair. right, totally, uh... that's what i was thinking. covering the things that make the outdoors great. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
9:31pm
we've made major advancements in reducing the incidents of broken bones in seniors. we've received recognition for getting hypertension under control for over 80% of our members. we've made significant advances in asthma, immunization and maternity care. and we've received numerous high ratings for our excellent standard of care. we're focusing on the big things so you can enjoy the little things. kaiser permanente. thrive.
9:32pm
this is among, if not the most serious, it is within the top two or three most serious leaks that i've ever seen. it put the american people at risk and that is not hyperbole. >> using the strongest possible terms, that's attorney general eric holder on the stunning revelation that the justice department seized phone records from the associated press. holder under fire for this scandal says he's announcing a criminal investigation. back on the grill tonight is laney davis. one final question that struck me in the break about the irs. should there be proof that emerges that somebody at the white house knew that the irs were targeting the tea party and so on, how serious would that be? >> first of all i think it's a
9:33pm
crime. it's extremely politically serious. i would have liked the president to have used the words of somebody whose name i won't mention, you're fired, if anybody in my shop does that. remember that president bush promised to do that and he didn't do that when it came to the whole issue of valerie plame and the exposure on that, yet there were people in the white house who knew about that that weren't fired. so the word is you're fired and it should come from the president of the united states. this is very serious. we went through watergate and abuse of power. every democrat should be as concerned about this as if it were a republican president and that's the test of crisis management. do you apply the same standard of transparency and being proactive and i've had words about the way the white house handled the benghazi matter as well as now this a.p. story is very troubling. >> let's come to the a.p. story. eric holder very strong today, saying that it was an extraordinary leak, the worst he could remember basically, posing a great threat to the lives of americans.
9:34pm
does that in itself justify what they did in terms of basically going after the associated press and potentially checking the records of up to 100 journalists? >> well, full disclosure, i'm not only a friend but a great admirer of eric holder's for many, many years so i have to trust that in his judgment, that this was necessary. having said that, again purely as a matter of crisis management, i don't have any facts as to why it was so broad. there's a lot of hurdles that you have to overcome to violate first amendment principles which is what you're doing when you're issuing subpoenas for telephone records of something like the associated press or a major media organization. i'd like to hear the attorney general, if he can, maybe he can't, tell us why was it so broad, could it have been narrower. if there was a serious crime and i believe him when he says it, i don't have enough information yet to explain to me why it was so broad that it could deter first amendment principles, in my judgment. >> one of the problems it seems to me is he recused himself from
9:35pm
this decision making process and therefore felt today he couldn't even talk about it because he wasn't the guy who took these decisions. basically chucking his number two under the bus, you might argue. but there are serious questions to be answered here, and i suppose it really comes down to was what they did actually legal. >> well, there is a ground for subpoenaing documents and in the case of a crime, yes, it certainly is justifiable, whether it's good policy and whether their ability to communicate and explain what is such a radical departure in a broad subpoena. the subpoena that i looked at or read about, i have never seen such a thing applied to a news organization. so at least if eric holder's recused himself, where is the justice department explaining this? even if people disagree, what crisis management is about is explaining the facts even if they're not good facts. i don't hear any explanation. the u.s. attorney gave a most inadequate explanation with conclusory statements.
9:36pm
it should be explained to all of us tomorrow morning. >> the other thing i want to repeat again is when they accuse the a.p. of being irresponsible in terms of this leak, in reality, the a.p. when they were asked to actually backed off the story and held off at the request of the government. so when you have an organization like a.p. behaving like that, to then go after them in this way seems extremely prohibiting to me. i just find it unacceptable. >> look, i do want to spend one minute about benghazi because it's very similar. it's the absence of communication that is the serious problem in any crisis. no matter how bad the facts are, once you put the facts out, take the talking points, for example. now that we've seen all the versions of the talking points, we now realize that the cia originally came up with the expression spontaneous protest inspired by the events in cairo, meaning the anti-muslim videotape.
9:37pm
that sentence written by the cia stayed with all 14 versions, never changed, yet the republican attack is actually contradicted when you read those talking points. >> except, let me jump in, that may be true but they removed any reference to al qaeda as being a potential source of this problem, too. it's that that the republicans are going after, and i think they have a right to do that, don't they? >> well, they certainly did remove those references, whether they were removed by the cia or whether they were removed by people in the state department is unclear. but the attack point and i do agree that that's troubling, but those talking points should have been put out months ago and the removal of that phrase should have been explained. i'm not justifying the removal but the republicans focused on the words spontaneous demonstration inspired by cairo and i learned for the first time that that never changed from the cia's first formulation. >> the problem with that -- >> why not communicate that right up front?
9:38pm
>> i agree with you. i think the problem is the removal of the al qaeda reference was being seen as a deliberate action by people in the administration to avoid that being the narrative, that al qaeda was still active and killing american ambassadors and other staff. i think you put it all together with the irs targeting the tea party, the benghazi issue of these talking points and al qaeda references being removed, the a.p. being targeted by the justice department and what many consider to be an outrageous manner, you put it all together, and you have a real breach of trust in president obama and his administration, don't you? >> so look, yes, there's a breach of trust because of the opaqueness of the way the white house has handled it, at least starting with the talking points. i'm troubled by some of the changes that occurred. i'd like to know who made the changes and what the motive was, of course. but you do that up front. you do that yourself. if you're in the white house, you take those talking points, there's nothing classified there that i could tell, and you put
9:39pm
them out and then you try to explain and you're transparent. if there are troubling answers, those answers are just as troubling but they're made more so because they were opaque about it. and i do contrast the way secretary of state clinton took personal responsibility, no ifs, ands or buts, it happened on her watch, this terrible tragedy, she commissioned a study that concluded that there was a systemic failure of leadership in her department and she immediately implemented those recommendations. i may be biased because i'm known to be a friend of mrs. clinton. the fact is she stood up to the line, no ifs, ands or buts, no explanations. she accepted responsibility and did it herself rather than waiting to be forced to do it, as we've seen in this instance regarding the talking points. >> always good to talk to you. thank you for joining me. >> thank you. coming up next, the other big story of the day. angelina jolie's shocking decision to have a double mastectomy. all business purchases.
9:40pm
so you can capture your receipts, and manage them online with jot, the latest app from ink. so you can spend less time doing paperwork. and more time doing paperwork. ink from chase. so you can.
9:41pm
as part of a heart healthy diet. that's true. ...but you still have to go to the gym. ♪ the one and only, cheerios ♪ the one and only, cheerios work the camera... work it! those hands. oooh la la! what's your secret? dawn?
9:42pm
[ female announcer ] dawn hand renewal with olay beauty improves the look and feel of hands in 5 uses. love it, or get double your money back.
9:43pm
she's really, really sweet and she would never get angry. she couldn't swear to save her life, and so -- but when it came to her kids, she was just really, really fierce. >> angelina jolie talking about her mother, who died of ovarian cancer in 2007, just 56 years old.
9:44pm
a "new york times" op-ed today, jolie says she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the mutation of a gene which increases the risks of ovarian and breast cancer. the decision has people all over the world praising her for her courage and candor. debbie wassermann schultz is a breast cancer survivor and also had a double mastectomy. she joins me along with dr. arlene sussman and crystal smith, west coast editor of "vanity fair." welcome to you all. debbie, i interviewed you many times on this show about politics, never about this. this is an issue very close to your heart because you've been through exactly what angelina went through. tell me about your experience. >> well, about five years ago, i was 41 years old, i had actually just had my first mammogram which came back clean, and i was doing a routine self exam in the shower and i found a lump in my breast that had not been there before. was familiar enough with what i normally felt like so i knew something felt different and i went right to the doctor, and a few days later was diagnosed with breast cancer.
9:45pm
a few weeks later was after a wonderful nurse educator did my family history. my family health history. she recommended because i'm at higher risk for genetic based breast cancer and i was so young in my diagnosis that i have that genetic test as well. and i ended up being diagnosed as bracket 2 positive. angelina was bracket 1. that puts us between a 40% and 85% chance of getting breast cancer sometime during our lifetime and ovarian cancer as well. the closer you get to 50, the more likely the chances go up. so my breast cancer was very early stage. it was 1a. and i was recommended initially to just have a lumpectomy and radiation. once i was diagnosed with the breast cancer gene, i went as far as angelina did as well and had a partially prophylactic double mastectomy. i had breast cancer in one
9:46pm
breast but didn't want to wait for the other shoe to drop for the rest of my life, so i had a double mastectomy, also had my ovaries removed to dramatically reduce my risk. so i have little kids. i wanted to be around for them for a long, long time. >> right. again, the story very parallel to angelina who wrote this brilliant op-ed piece -- >> it was incredible. >> read it last night. for you, when you read it, what did you feel? you obviously must have related so much to it. you've got children as she does. you were thinking the same thing. >> it was like reading my own story and reliving my own decision all over again. i totally can relate to what she's saying. it's not an easy decision to have your breasts removed and to force yourself into early menopause, but you know, it really wasn't even a close call for me, and i bet if i was able to talk to her, not for her, either. her op-ed really made that clear, because when -- she made the decision to do it without
9:47pm
having cancer, to make it less likely that she would eventually get it. i had already had it, so the odds of my having a recurrence were dramatically high, and so to me, thinking about whether i would be there for my children's birthdays and graduations and important milestones, you know, i just didn't want there to be any question. >> the same as she was saying. >> dramatically reduced the likelihood. >> let me ask dr. sussman the key question many people are thinking which is the cost of this. because my understanding is it's $3,000 just to have the test. that eliminates a lot of people, doesn't it? >> it can. it is an expensive test and most insurance companies, however unfortunately, do not cover it. the good news is the affordable care act as of 2014 as it's been written in will cover such a test. so that's good news. >> let's take a short break. when we come back, i want to ask you, you've had family experiences of ovarian cancer, lost your mother and aunt to it. i want to ask you about what you
9:48pm
make of the impact that angelina jolie's op-ed piece may have around the world and in hollywood. ♪ ♪ fly me to the moon ♪ let me play among the stars ♪ and let me see what spring is like ♪ ♪ on jupiter and mars ♪ in other words [ male announcer ] the classic is back. ♪ i love [ male announcer ] the all-new chevrolet impala.
9:49pm
chevrolet. find new roads. ♪ you [ male announcer ] from the way the bristles move to the way they clean, once you try an oral-b deep sweep power brush, you'll never go back to a regular manual brush. its three cleaning zones with dynamic power bristles reach between teeth with more brush movements to remove up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual brush. and even 76% more plaque than sonicare flexcare in hard to reach areas. oral-b deep sweep 5000 power brush. life opens up when you do. oral-b deep sweep 5000 power brush. have hail damage to both their cars. ted ted is trying to get a hold of his insurance agent. maxwell is not. he's on geico.com setting up an appointment with an adjuster. ted is now on hold with his insurance company. maxwell is not and just confirmed a 5:30 time for tuesday. ted, is still waiting. yes! maxwell is out and about... with ted's now ex-girlfriend. wheeeee! whoo! later ted!
9:50pm
online claims appointments. just a click away on geico.com. to take a centrum silver multivitamin every day. i told him, sure. can't hurt, right? and now today, i see this in the news. once again, centrum silver was chosen by researchers
9:51pm
for another landmark study. this time looking at eye health. my doctor! he knows his stuff. [ male announcer ] centrum. the most studied. the most recommended. and the most preferred multivitamin brand. the choice is clear.
9:52pm
christin, your family has suffered terribly from cancer, both your mother and your aunt died from ovarian cancer. what was your reaction to what she did today? she took an extraordinary step, running a piece to reveal this. >> as an actress, she never ceases to amaze me. i thought this was a tremendous thing that she did. it is such a gift. it is so bold, so brave and so candid, as well, kwh i was really surprised. people just rallied around her. for a woman and a profession where most of it is about how you present yourself. for her to come out and say hey, i've had this issue. i know how to deal with this. this is what my family has been dealing with. and i think, as a mother, i really commend her for stepping out and talking about it. >> and what's amazing is keeping this quiet. she's one of the most famous
9:53pm
women in the world. she had implants, she said. and i guess, from the picture that is we saw of her out and about, you really know the difference. is that one of the wonders of modern science, if you like? >> it is. it's a wonderful gift. these women are very brave. >> these are pictures we're looking at now. this is actually her when she's been going through all of this. >> it's not an easy decision. you make that brave, difficult decision, it's a long process. it's not simple to go through. >> do you believe from your medical per spective, this simple piece can save a lot of lives? >> i think she did tremendous good work and goodwill worldwide. she's a sex symbol and she will continue to be in a very positive way for many women. >> debbie, let me let you jump
9:54pm
234 there. >> i just wanted to point out. one of the tough things about bracket testing is it is a patented test and a patented gene. you have to make life-altering decisions. i've actually filed legislation that would require there to be an opportunity to get a second opinion test because, you know, to remove your breasts, to have your ovaries removed based on the results of one test is really not fair. and that's why obama care and the full implementation of the affordable care act is so critical because there are so many women who can't make the same decision that angelina and i are able to make. they can't make the same decision when they have a lump in their breast. >> and as she said, i was fortunate to have a partner in brad pitt who was so loving. i mean, every step of the way. >> and i like brad pitt's response.
9:55pm
having witnessed this decision firsthand, i find angie's choice absolutely heroic. all i want is for her to have a long and healthy life with our children. oi think as a parent, it was magnificent. thank you all for joining me. coming next, dear piers, where i respond to the tweets about the stories you covers. i'll respond to a tweet you c-max two. that's a super fuel- efficient hybrid for me. and a long range plug-in hybrid for you. now, let's review. introducing the ford c-max hybrid and the ford c-max energi plug-in hybrid. say hi to the c-max hybrids. with olay, here's how. new regenerist eye and lash duo. the cream smooths the look of lids...
9:56pm
softens the look of lines. the serum instantly thickens the look of lashes. see wow! eyes in just one week with olay. prego?! but i've been buying ragu for years. [ thinking ] i wonder what other questionable choices i've made? [ club scene music ] [ sigh of relief ] [ male announcer ] choose taste. choose prego. available out there. i knew devry university would give me the skills that i needed to make one of those tech jobs mine. we teach cutting-edge engineering technology, computer information systems, networking and communications management -- the things that our students need to know in the world today. our country needs more college grads to help fill all the open technology jobs. to help meet that need, here at devry university, we're offering $4 million dollars in tech scholarships for qualified new students. learn more at devry.edu. how you work so hard without looking like you do.
9:57pm
how you make every dollar stretch so far and keep your family so close. so we brought back the things you liked about jcpenney. gave you new things to explore. and now, we're happy to say, you've come back to us. ♪ we're speechless. except for two little words. ♪
9:58pm
9:59pm
i'll respond to a tweet you sent to me, @piersmorgan. he's rush limbaugh's brother to which my answer is i'm not mocking it. but you do make a good point. the behavior of the irs and the justice department does have a form of unacceptable government tyranny. this is from john. >> the irs and the justice department are part of his government. the lid should stay firmly off on this. will twitted isn't it oppress ing -- sus pirks? >> it's certainly one of the more shocking aspects of all of this. finally, angelina jolie made a huge decision.
10:00pm
i couldn't agree more. she will save so many lives by talking about this so honestly and i applaud her for it. donald rumsfeld, what a time to have him. that will be tomorrow night live at 9:00. that's all for tonight. anderson cooper starts right now. tonight, actress angelina jolie goes public about her decision to have a public mastectomy to protect herself from cancer. plus, michelle knight goes missing for 11 years, a prisoner inside ariel castro's house. no vigils were held for her. the world seemed to forget her. tonight, her story is now coming into focus. first, we have breaking news on the irs scandal. today, attorney general eric holder announced the justice department is launching a criminal investigation into how the irs deliberately targeted conservative groups who were >> well, the president has issued a statement. he has strong words, but no

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)